Is HIV 4th generation test done 4 weeks post exposure conclusive?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Respected Sir, I have test CMIA HIV on 4 the weeks after an unprotected sex with CSW (my condom burst between intercourse in vagina and ejaculate inside but i did HIV RAPID test of that CSW after on day which was negtive) which was non- reactive and then index value was 0.06 but CMIA test after 6 weeks is non- reactive and index value is 0.1 .
Sir, I am in fare index value fluctuated . how many chance i become positive in future test or is these test is conclusive or need to more test. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to get tested again after 3 months.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

The risk of getting HIV from single act of unprotected sex is very unlikely even if the partner is HIV positive and your CMIA test result after 4 weeks of exposure is also negative so you need not to worry much about HIV as this result is considered highly reliable and accurate.

Any value below one for CMIA test is considered as negative so don't get bothered about it as it has not of much significance. You need to get tested again after three months as per the guidelines and the result will surely come in your favor. Be relaxed and move on in life happily.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng