Is HIV 4th generation test done 13 weeks post exposure conclusive?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi I had an encounter with a CSW, vaginal intercourse and fear HIV. A condom was used but can't remember if all was in tact after. 8 weeks post I experienced an intense 24 hr flu and on week 9 post I had diarreagh for 24 hours. At week 13 have had pain in joints for a few weeks. As all these are HIV symptoms I am extremely anxious about. I have had a 4th generation test at week 4, 6, 8, 12 and 13 which all came back negative. Are my test results conclusive and I should move on or given current joint pains I am experiencing I need further testing?
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Conclusive tests, look out of HIV

Detailed Answer:

According to the history and description I do not doubt the tests and their conclusiveness. YOu should not be worried about the HIV issue now.
The symptoms that you had earlier were part of some other medical issue and may not be HIV related.
You should get yourself test for other reasons apart from HIV. Please see an Orthopedic surgeon if the joint pains are fleeting type and recurring with simple over the counter medicines like IBUPROFEN and ACETAMINOPHEN.

I suggest to refrain from activity with CSWs as far. It is better to have a monogamous relationship at any period in time.

All the best.

Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 9 minutes later
Thanks Dr and yes completely agree with your relationship advice. I did forget to mention that 2 weeks post i had uncomfortable pain like urethritis for about a month that went away and 2 nights of night sweats. I have been tested for all stds which were clear and my dr thinks all symptoms are probably anxiety driven. Given i basically tick every HIV symptom i have found it hard to believe the results as normally i am very healthy. There is no chance antibodie may not have been detected by week 12.5 to be exact given my later than the norm symptoms? Should i completely put this behind me and move on? XXXX
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Move on

Detailed Answer:

The antibodies should arrive by 4th week. 99% arrive by 12 week. If the tests are negative you should not be scared.
I second your doctor opinion about anxiety.
When brain reads it the body would experience any symptom.
Let your brain stop accepting these trivial things. A virus that is not in your body should not take away your XXXXXXX
Start accepting it, take professional help with a counselor who can reset the thoughts.