Is HCV Antibody test 20 weeks post exposure conclusive?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Infections
Question: Hcv antibodies negative after 20 weeks. Is it conclusive? I do have all symptoms.
One week after exposure; sore throat, stomach upset, vomiting.
2nd week of exposure: rash, headache, sinusitis.
6th week of exposure: right side pain, short and irregular period.
Till now: chronic sinusitis.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I need further details.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome To HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
To help you better I need to understand your query further. I need a detailed history.

1.When were you found to have Hepatitis C positive?
2.Why was the test performed?
3.Any history of Jaundice?
4.What about your liver function tests?
5.Are the RNA titres performed?
6.What does the Ultrasound says?

As far as these symptoms are concerned, they are actually not specific for Hepatitis C. So that can't give any depiction of the status of Hepatitis C.

Revert with the asked details for a better help.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 6 minutes later
I did not do ultrasounds. My exposure was vaginally unprotected test with person who had many relationship. I did liver enzymes test one month post exposure was normal. I did hepatitis c antibodies test twice: one 3 weeks post exposure and one 20 weeks both were negative. No RNA XXXXXXX has been done.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get tested for Hepatitis B , C and HIV.

Detailed Answer:
The window period of Hepatitis C infection varies from 6-10 weeks. If you have got your HCV Antibody test done after 20 weeks of exposure, the test is considered conclusive. However, i would recommend ELISA test for conclusion and not rapid card test.
Another important concern is that it's not only Hepatitis C , that is spread by unprotected sexual intercourse.
It can be Hepatitis B and HIV too.
I would recommend you to get tested for that also.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 hours later
I had hep b vaccination 2 years ago. So still immunized. I did hiv too at 20 weeks and was -ve too. I did ask the lab about hcv antibodies and I have told that the test is done using machine called archeticts and is accurate and sensitive: is that rapid test? Any way I will repeat it in 26 weeks too. Have u seen any result that changed to positive after this time?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
I have not seen.

Detailed Answer:
Hi. As far as changing of HCV antibodies is concerned I have never seen such changes. However theoretically it can happen. So its better to get tested and be sure.
As far as the test authenticity is concerned the machine name is a technical thing. You need to ask them or read on your report that the test performed was ELISA based or Rapid card based.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar