Is HCT used with Diovan likely to have memory effects?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Is the HCT used with Diovan likely to have memory effects?
I have pre-diabletes, with a.m. blood sugar around 110-120. Otherwise I am in very good health at 75. The memory loss is very noticeable, and seems undue in general. My diet is extremely good, and my 77 year old husband, who does not take blood pressure medication, has no memory problems.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HCT is "innocent"

Detailed Answer:

both valsartan and HCT are not supposed to cause any untoward memory effects. No such case has been reported so far. Memory problems may occur for various reasons that may have to do with:
- your genes.
- your diabetes even if it was very well controlled.
- hypertension, even if it was controlled as well.

Since you're 75 years old, memory problems are not unlikely, even if you'd never experienced any so far. Since you're taking this regimen for quite some time now, it's very unlikely that the "side-effects" are caused by HCT.

I would advise you to visit a specialist on dementia (a neurologist) for assessment of your condition and perhaps for treatment.

I hope I've helped!
You can contact me again, if you'd like more information or clarifications.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis