Is Glutathione an effective medication for chronic fatigue?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Tue, 20 Dec 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: how does glutathione act to protect against chronic fatigue?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glutahthione- role in antioxidant defense and detoxification

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

I read your query and went through pharmacology books and medical research for answers.

Glutathione is an endogenous chemical involved in redox reactions. It is directly involved in maintenance of intracellular redox reactions, anti-oxidant vitamin levels, and also anti-oxidant enzyme functions in exercise.

In chronic fatigue and many other disorders, it is postulated that glutathione is depleted. Gamma glutamyl transferase levels in blood are elevated in glutathione deficiency.

There are many ways to increase glutathione levels. Limiting alcohol consumption, taking other anti-oxidants like alpha-lipoic acid and administering supplement of glutathione. Oral glutathione may not be helpful but other methods of administration like I.V., inhaled and intranasal methods can be more effective.

Supplementation of glutathione exogenously may help by maintaining the above mentioned functions. Thus it can help in chronic fatigue. This again is a theoretical possibility and is not much supported by research.
Another safer method is to decrease toxin load by drinking cleaner water and eating hygienic food.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee