Is Ginseng advisable while on Metoprolol?

Posted on Wed, 28 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: hi
I eat each day 25 mg Metoprolol , and 20 mg Xarelto, - (metoprolol because of arrhythmia (atrial fibrillation) and Xarelto after pulmonary embolism two years ago.
I feel tired and was thinking of eating Ginseng, in Gerimax, which I did for a period some 10 years ago with good effect on tiredness and lowered mental capacity (slight sense of depression).
Is it dangerous to eat Ginseng with Metoprolol? Ginseng with Xarelto?
---
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Ginseng may be used together with metoprolol because no interaction are observed between the two drugs.

However since you are using xarelto you should ask your doctor about using ginseng. Gianseng interact with xarelto and may increase the risk of bleeding. This is why you should ask your doctor.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist