Is Geodone effective in treating pseudoseizures?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: is geodon successful in treating pseudoseizures
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No geodon is not the drug for pseudoseizures

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using healthcaremagic.

Geodone(Zyprasidone) is an atypical antipsychotic.
Its main uses are in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
It is not at all used to treat pseudoseizure.

However as you mentioned you have bipolar 2 , geodon can be used in treatment for that.

In pseudoseizure management if medicines needed antidepressant or anti anxiety medicines are used.Otherwise counselling and stress reduction is the main approach to treat pseudoseizure.

Hope you got the answer, you are welcome for any more query,I will be happy to answer.
Dr.Chintan Solanki
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 40 minutes later
Obviously this is a distressing situation for me, with a sudden onset and no triggers or new major stresses just every day life. The seizures are random about 2 to 3 a month. I'm truly not faking or looking for attention. I never even knew pnes existed until my neurologist told me. Do you have any experience or what maybe I can hope for a prognosis? I don't have a very good relationship with my doctor and looking to change my care. She makes me feel as if I'm malingering and crazy. That's my last question, thanks for your time.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes changing doctor can be a good option

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your pain and suffering.
I have treated many patients of pseudoseizure(conversion).

For the treatment of pseudoseizure first and foremost thing is the doctor-patient relationship.

If doctor can create good rapport with patient and can have good empathetic attitude, chances of successful treatment increases.

Prognosis of pseudoseizure from my point of view is good , there is just need of good doctor who can help patient to ventilate better and can make patient efficient in tackling stress.Some sessions needed for treatment.

There is little difference in diagnosis of pseudoseizure and malingering and good doctor can only judge.

So better to change the treating doctor and get good result.

All the best and get well soon.
regards.