Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Is Gardnerella vaginalis transmitted through an intercourse?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 877 Questions
I had intercourse with a male whose wife was just diagnosed with Gardnerelaa vaginalis. They are both taking metronidazole beginning today. Do I need to visit my ob/gyn for treatment? If so how soon?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Gardnerella vaginalis infection Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for choosing health care magic for your query. I understand your concern regarding acquiring Gardnerella infection from your recent sexual encounter. I want to elaborate on the infection caused by this bacteria and symptoms for you to understand better. Gardnerella vaginalis is a bacteria which causes a non specific vaginitis or vaginosis where typical features of vaginal infection are not present. The only symptoms include typical foul smelling odour which is more commonly observed immediately after intercourse, and mild increase in discharge. I would suggest you undergo vaginal swab testing for microscopy, culture and sensitivity which will help confirm the infection and then you can get a prescription for appropriate antibiotics based on the test results. I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is Gardnerella vaginalis transmitted through an intercourse? 4 hours later
So please confirm: if I am currently not experiencing symptoms, should I still go to my dr and get tested?
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Vaginal swab test will confirm infection Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. I would suggest you go and get yourself tested as it will relive your anxiety regarding acquisition of the infection. As I have mentioned earlier, some patients may not have typical symptoms and treatment is started in them if there is history of exposure and positive vaginal swab culture. I hope I have cleared your doubts. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor