Is Gabapentin an appropriate medication for ischemic vascular disease?
Many side effects, the dose is titrated individually, no...
Thanks for posting your query.
There are many side effects associated with the use of Gabapentin. I'll mention some of the most common ones but if you have the drug at home you'd better read all of them in summary of product characteristics that should come with the package.
Fatigue and fever may occur in up to 1 out of 10 patients taking Gabapentin. Other common side effects include: peripheral edema (swelling), facial edema, rash, itching, diarrhea or constipation, dry mouth, dizziness, somnolence, urinary incontinence, hyperglycemia, joint pain, abnormal gait, ataxia (moving like a drunk person), etc.
We usually start with 300 mg on the first day and we escalate the dosage up to 300 mg three times per day up to the maximum dosage of 1200 mg three times daily. The initial escalation happens on the first 3 days. The subsequent escalations may require more time.
This is not a drug for ischemic vascular disease... It's prescribed for restless legs syndrome, postherpetic neuralgia (and other causes of neuralgia) and epilepsy.
I hope it helps!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis, Internal Medicine Specialist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Drugs/medication for atherosclerotic vascular disease
- Medical marijuana and vascular disease
- Drugs/medication for thromboembolic vascular disease
- Drugs/medication for diabetic vascular disease
- Drugs/medication for retinal vascular disease
- Drugs/medication for vascular disease
- Ischemic vascular disease of the brain
- Drugs/medication for arteriosclerotic vascular disease
- Drugs/medication for hypertensive vascular disease
- Drugs/medication for peripheral vascular disease
- Suggest treatment for splenic cyst
- What causes dry throat?
- What causes itching in breast?
- What causes chest pain and heart burn?
- Suggest treatment for pain in heels
- Can i take Paxil along with Clonidine?
- Suggest ways to manage diabetes
- Does taking Plaquinel for lupus affect the memory?
- What does an enlarged lymph node on neck indicate?
- Is infection possible by touching a dead bird despite using a disinfectant?