Is GGT of 143 dangerous?

Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: im XXXXXXX
my gamma ggt serum is 143 is it dangerous? all my test are normal i drink daily half bootle of whisky is it danger? im 32 year old pls suggest me what should i do
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gamma Glutamerase Transferase , its significance

Detailed Answer:
Hello Summit.
Normal value of Gamma Glutamerase Transferase ( GGT) is 1-94 U/L.
In your case it is 143 i.e. elevated level.
Daily drinks and consumption is 1/2 bottle of Whisky i.e. 400 ml 55 % spirit ( as far as known to me ).
Note down :
1 drink=50 ml of spirit ( absolute 100 %)=150 ml of wines = 400 ml of beer.
On an average 1-2 drinks /day is usually safe.
Not more than 3 drinks on one occasion.
Consumption of more than (>3 ) drinks / day is associated with documented ADVERSE HEALTH EFFECTS.
GGT is elevated in cholestasis ( gall bladder disease ) .
GGT is located in endoplasmic reticulum and in the bile duct epithelial cells .
Reflecting its more diffuse localization in the liver GGT elevation in the SERUM is LESS SPECIFIC for cholestasis ( your elevated level is in SERUM)
Some have advocated the use of GGT to identify patients with occult alcohol use.
I mentioned in detail that your elevated level of G GT is associated with consumption of 1/2 bottle / day .
Slight elevated level is not specific but in your case high level and consumption of alcohol are dangerous for future .
In my opinion first of all try to limit your drinks ( as mentioned above NOT more than 3 in one occasion i.e one day).
If can't do this consult a psychiatrist and get his help .
Hope I have answered your question .
If further any question I will reply in follow up.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T