Is GGT level of 118 a cause for concern?

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi my name is XXXXXXX XXXX my GGT level is 118 and this is not good for me as my medical checks will be carried tomorrow what should I do to reduce it with immediate effect.
And one more thing I don't know why it has raised bcoz the last time I drink was in July nd this is November but yes I HV do consumed paracetamol is this the reason..?
Plz tply me fast I'm waiting
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:

GGT will be raised in regular or binge alcoholics. Though the last time your drink was over a month it takes at least three months for the raised GGT due to alcohol to get back to baseline levels.
Second for few people the baseline levels of GGT are high.
Third Just an isolated GGT levels would not debar a person for any reason. They need to be serially checked. Any good clinician will know it.
Paracetamol could be a reason over the alcoholic liver to raise GGT but the effect will wean off in few days.

All I want to say is only GGT raise would not cause medical concerns we have to take a whole picture of the liver enzymes including alk phosphatase, SGPT, SGOT.

Let me know if anything else is bothering you. Thank you again for the opportunity.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 17 minutes later
Ma'am Im having medical check tomorrow so will the lemon consumption will reduce my GGT level

My SGOT is 211 and SGPT is 972 all phosphate is 123
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Serious raise in enzymes

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry for a delayed reply.
I am not sure if consuming lemon can help you tomorrow's tests but certainly there is something important to discuss here.
You seem to have very high liver enzymes including SGOT and SGPT. I generally see these in people who have compromised liver function.

If these results are true and remain elevated with the tomorrow's report I suggest you meet the Gastroenterologist.

Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 23 hours later
Effect of alcohol stays how long in our body an reflect in our GGT nd SGOT nd SGPT
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
It takes a week

Detailed Answer:

The effect of alcohol in the body varies but on one bout of one pint alcohol which has 40% ethanol in it will stay for one week.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj