Is GERD and calcium level variations related?

Dr. Lohit K

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I have suffered with GERD for several months now. I also am being treated by an internist who has found low Vitamin D in my blood and has had me taking D3 supplement. 4 months later (this week) I went back for a checkup. I told him GERD is present. I can't go more than two days without taking omneprazalone. He referred me to a specialist to address the GERD. Then I get a call today that calcium level is up in my blood and to come back for more lab work to check parathyroid etc. I read that hyperparathyroid causes GERD. This makes me think I should wait on seeing the specialist and first get a good diagnosis on what is causing the elevated calcium level. 10.9 Also, my internist told me to keep taking Vitamin D which tells me the recent labwork didn't indicate improvement there.....I am also being treated for hypertension
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
lab test->lifestyle changes->specialist.

Detailed Answer:

I went through the query and understood your concern.

It will be better if you wait for the blood report and then to meet your specialist.
The GERD and calcium level variations may not be related in most of the cases. Since you are getting variations in the blood tests better to get examined in good laboratory to get diagnosis for variations in calcium level.

For GERD the cause may be H Pylori infection and taking HP kit may help you with life style modifications. I like to tell you few measures go prevenf GERD.
1. While sleepin keep the head end of your bex elevated to prevent the action of gravity in causing reflux.
2. Don't eat full stomach.
3. Don't sleep immediately after food. 30 min walk will help.
4. Avoid any beverages at night time.
5. Daily 30 min out door exercises.
6. Diet rich in fiber.

These measures along with medications will help you.

I hope this information helps you and answered your concern. Feel free to ask for any further queries. I will be glad to answer them.
Wish you good health.