Is Fosamax effective at treating Osteoporosis?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 23 Oct 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Is Fosamax still one of the best choices for long term use for Osterporosis? And what is the percentage of woman who experience the side of affect of stomach upset? If I have acid reflux should I still try it?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Worth taking

Detailed Answer:

Yes, Fosamax (Alendronate Sodium) is still one of the best choices for long term use in osteoporosis. It is also one of the safest treatments of osteoporosis.

It is, however, known to cause gastric irritation and this side effect is seen in a fair number of women taking this medication.

I could not procure an exact percentage but it is relatively common.

Even if you have acid reflux, you should still try it.

In order to relieve yourself from the gastric complications, you need to do the following:

* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.

* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).

* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.

* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.

* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.

* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.

* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Prof. Kunal Saha, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana