Is Flexeril helpful in treatment of severe tinnitus?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Does the drug flexoril help with severe tinnitus? Is it sedative and muscle relaxant? How do you take it? I weigh 105 lbs, 64 yr old female?

I was taking cymbalta for depression, etc but cant sleep very well.?is that a side effect? Thx.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Flexoril is shown to be helpful in tinnitus

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome
Flexoril contains cyclobenzaprine, is a muscle relaxant. Few studies suggest that the agent offers some benefit to patients with tinnitus on both tinnitus intensity and tinnitus distress. It is prescription based agent you have to visit ENT specialist for valid prescription.

One of the side effect of cymbalta is insomnia, it is advised to inform your consultant about this side effect.
Hope this information helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng