Is Fleet enema the treatment for constipation?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My 34 year old son was diagnosed with a 1.9 x 1.9 stone on Tuesday - he is in a lot of pain and is now constipated too. Will a fleet enema be the best way to solve the constipation and can he take the hydrocodone sooner than 6 hours.

Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not recommended

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Hydrocodone may contribute to constipation so it is not advisable to take it frequently. Diclofenac or paracetamol alone would be more appropriate. Constipation may be treated with glycerin suppositories, oral laxatives or enema. Also,appropriate diet is required. It includes lot of fluids,fruit,vegetables and avoiding chocolate,fried food and alcohol. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng