Is Femilon safe while breastfeeding?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi,
I am XXXX. My periods were always been irregular from the starting. Then when i was 15 yrs old tgere was heavy bleeding for a month and next 2 months there wont b any bleeding so we consulted one gynac and had some medicine for 3 months. After that it was normal till my 1 St baby was 2 yrs. I started putting on weight and again it became the same way with heavy bleeding for 15-25 days and next period will start after 1 week. Then I again had femolin I guess, which continued for 3 months and it became normal and then I got pregnant with my 2 nd baby.
During pregnancy I was diagnosed with thyroid, and polycystic ovary. After delivery we had done cervical cancer test and thyroid test and every thing was normal this was done 4 months back. My ft4 was also normal. My doctor told it was pregnancy related thyroid. Now I had put on weight and my periods started last month and was having for 7 days with very less bleeding. But this month it's my 7 day and it's heavily bleeding and I guess not going to stop for another one week. Can I take femolin tablets as I am breastfeeding my baby.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Progesterone only pills

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
No dear femilon is not right in lactation as it decreases Breast milk.
So better start progesterone only pills which are readily available and will have no bad effect on lactating women
Also get thyroid retested so as to be doubly sure
regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 50 minutes later
ys will do the test. what is this progesterone only pills. is it available in medical store what we should ask them
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prescription drug

Detailed Answer:
Yes it is easily available but is a prescription drug and should be taken regularly without a miss
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 57 minutes later
any particular brand is there and how to take it and how many days we hav to continue
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pills to be taken daily without miss

Detailed Answer:
Any good brand will suffice and generally easily available
Take it daily without miss at approximately same time for 21 days and then give a gap of 7 days.
In case taking daily pills is difficult for you, an injection of progesterone is also available which is effective for 3 months.
Both are equally effective but injections can lead to erratic bleeding off an on in some patients.
Discuss with your gynaecologist both the options and decide wisely
I'm ready to answer any question related to it further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 3 hours later
can I take micronor r or kindly suggest a good brand. will this stop the heavy bleeding. and will it regularise my periods. and should I take it all through my life or I can stop and see whether it's been regularised.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Micronor is a good choice

Detailed Answer:
Yes dear micronor is good and can be taken.
It is the popular progesterone only pill or XXXXXXX pill
Take it for 3 cycles and I hope you won't need it further
In general if excessive of irregular periods persists even after that then an ultrasound is a must.
All the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng