• question-icon

Is Euthyrox advisable during pregnancy?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi, I have under active thyroid, and I am on the birth control pill. I'm taking euthyrox 50 I just wanted to know if I leave the pill is it risky for pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
It seems your question is

If you stop taking your thyroid pill ie euthyrox will it be harmful from pregnancy perspective?

The answer to this is yes.

TSH during pregnancy is recommended to be kept on target as follows

0.1 to 2.5 in the first 3 months

0.2 to 2.5 in the second three months

0.3 to 3 in the last 3 months

It is important to adjust the dose of euthyrox upwards by 33% to 50% once pregnancy is suspected. This is typically achieved by taking 2 extra pills of euthyrox per week in addition to the usual daily dose
Once pregnancy is confirmed it is strongly recommended to consult an endocrinologist in-person in order to make appropriate dose adjustments regularly throughout pregnancy to ensure TSH is maintained in the goal range
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist