Is Eptoin Syrup Effective In Stopping Simple Febrile Seizures?
My kid is 3.6+ yrs old and she got the seizure during the Fever last month. Last year also she had the seizure during the fever. The Seizure continues for around 30min the doctor had administered the Antibiotics for the fever and Frisium 5mg tablets. The CT scan and EEG reports are coming normal, but this time suggested to start the Eptoin Syrup 6.5m twice daily for 6months.
1. Will this Eptoin syrup help to not get the seizures anymore ?
2. What are the complications for this type of febrile seizures if getting again in future ?
3. How to stop getting the febrile seizures in the future?
Please suggest if we should continue this Eptoin system for the longer period and if any side effects.
Febrile status and suggetions
Hi XXXX..Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
You have been very clear in the description and this made my job simpler.
What your child first got, 1 year back is called SIMPLE FEBRILE SEIZURES. This type of seizures occur in kids from 6months to 6 years of age and there is a 4% chance in general population for normal kids to get fits with fever and it is nothing to be worried about. It might or might not recur. This does not require any regular anti-seizure medications.
But this 2nd time, she go it for 30 minutes which does not make it simple, but it is called FEBRILE STATUS in medical language which means fits lasted for more than 15 minutes and this definitely requires anti-seizure medications for a period of 6 months. I would prefer to give Valproate instead of Phenytoin in this regard as the international recommendations say so and also Valproate has got lesser side effects than Phenytoin. Apart from this it is recommended to add Vitamin D supplements whenever any kid is on anti-seizure medications.
Coming to your queries -
1. Eptoin might prevent getting fits in future but cannot completely eliminate the risk.
2. Complications could be like prolonged fits as in her case now. If not controlled well it can lead on to further seizures, but usually more than 95% of the kids do well after Valproate.
3. There is no definite way to completely stop getting febrile seizures in the future - am sorry with this - but this is what science says and recent literature quotes.
Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
I have few more follow-up questions/clarifications:
1. What are the Side Effects of Eptoin syrup taking for a long period?
Can we stop this now and give only during the fever ?
2. Can we give her oral diazepam during the 1st two days of the fever to control the body temp along with doing the sponging the entire body?
If, yes what is the dose for her age 3.6yrs, 16kg wt. ?
3. Should we give her any Vitamins to improve the immune system ?
4. Will this Febrile stop exactly after 6yrs and it wont come again after that ?
Thanks in advance!
Suggestions on Febrile seizures
Coming to your queries -
1. I suggest you not to stop Eptoin but after you pediatrician's advice and prescription and advice as the Eptoin needs to be decreased gradually and Valproate has to be increased gradually.
2. Long term Eptoin may cause gum swelling and probably bleeding manifestations.
3. Oral Diazepam is best for 1st 2 days if fever is high. Dose is 0.1mg/kg/dose every 12th hourly.
4. No need for any vitamins.
5. Recurrence cannot be predicted again please.
I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link. Please find the link below.