Is Epidural injection safe for herniated disc?

Dr. Karl Logan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 31 May 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have a herniated disc (C6/C7) and am going in for an epidural injection. I was wondering what the side effects of that procedure and how long it takes to get relief??
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Immediate relief followed by worsening of the pain

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.

You would not normally have an epidural injection in your neck. this would be given in the lower back. these have fallen out of fashion for lower back pain in many centres.

you may have a ct guided nerve root injection in your neck if you have arm pain. this usually is effective at causing immediate relief of the pain which usually returns and may even be worse a few hours later for a week or two until the steroid part of the injection has time to reduce the inflammation around your nerve root.

I hope this answers your question.

best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T