• question-icon

Is Enzoflam safe during breast feeding?

Posted on Fri, 5 Sep 2014 in Child Health
Question: Can I take tablet enzoflam ( paracetamol 325mg, diclofenac 50 mg , serratiopeptidase 15mg ) while breast feeding
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please take only paracetamol for pain relief

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Tablet enzoflam (paracetamol 325mg, diclofenac 50 mg, serratiopeptidase 15mg) is a combination of medications which act as pain killers (paracetamol and diclofenac) and for faster healing of inflammation (serratiopeptidase).

Taking the combination in Enzoflam is guarded during breast feeding mainly due to serratiopeptidase. This means although no serious effects have been found in babies whose mothers might have been given Enzoflam during breast feeding, it is best to avoid taking it. Under special circumstances, it needs to be discussed with the treating doctor.

I would like to know the reason you have been given the medication to help you better. As for pain killers you can take Paracetamol (Crocin) 500 mg every 8 hours after food depending on the reason for taking the medication. Only 1% of this medical will reach the baby which is acceptabe in breast feeding.

Alternatively Diclofenac is also an accepted pain killer during breast feeding and that can also be taken 50 mg after food twice a day depending on your pain.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 8 minutes later
I am about to go a tooth extraction
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please confirm antibiotics are also acceptable

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

Tooth extraction is a small procedure and you can try and minimize the pain with diclofenac or paracetamol. Without serratiopeptidase it may take slightly more time to heal (3 to 4 days) and that is acceptable.

A very important thing will be to tell the dentist that you are breastfeeding and so the antibiotics you take must be acceptable. Please confirm this point with your dentist.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Can I take ketorol dt
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ketorol dt can be taken for shorter durations

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back in response.

Ketorol DT contains pain killer ketorolac. This is acceptable during breast feeding but should be taken only as long required for few (2 to 4) days. Please do not take it unnecessarily and for longer durations.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist