• question-icon

Is Ecosprin advisable for a patient suffering from chicken pox?

Posted on Wed, 13 Apr 2016 in General Health
Question: My husband is 39 years old, and had a stent put in 4 years ago and is on the following medicines. Ecosprin 75, metosartan 25, a rosavel 10. He has just got chicken pox now, and the Internet research shows taking ecosprin during chicken pox can cause the fatal reye's syndrome. Can we stop ecosprin for a week till the chicken pox clears up?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no need to stop Ecosprin.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, Hi & Welcome.
Thanks for posting your query on health care magic.
I appreciate your concern for your beloved husband.
Aspirin or other Salicylates when used to treat fever in CHILDREN or TEENAGERS suffering from viral diseases like chickenpox or influenza has been associated with Reye's syndrome. While there is no such harmful effect seen when Aspirin (Ecosprin) is used in adults suffering from chicken pox. Since he is having a stent placed, therefore Ecosprin should not be stopped during chickenpox infection as it is beneficial in preventing the clot formation in the blood vessels of the heart.
Hope I could answer your query. However, should you have any follow up query i shall be glad to answer it.
Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 1 hour later
Do all these 3 medicines ( ecosprin 75, rozavel 10 and metosartan 25) need to be taken for ever for stent management? We believe that all of these have multiple side effects. Could you recommend any tests which can be done, post which atleast some of this medication is stopped in consultation with a cardiologist.
Also currently all 3 meds are being taken late at night, just before going to bed. Due to the nature of my husband's work, he keeps very late hours. Can we shift the meds to morning post a healthy breakfast.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, these medications should be taken for ever.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX, Hi
Thanks for your reply.
1. Metosartan (Metoprolol+Telmisartan) is prescribed for the effective control of his high BP.
2. Rozavel (Rosuvastatin) is prescribed to reduce the high blood cholesterol level. Irrespective of the blood cholesterol level he has to take this medication forever.
3. Since Rozavel & Ecosprin prevent the clot formation in the blood vessels of the heart they should be continued forever along with the Metosartan tablet.
4. Out of the 3 prescribed medications, Rozavel is effective in reducing the cholesterol level if given during night, hence the other 2 medications can be given in the morning.
Hope I could answer your query.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 27 hours later
What are the side effects of the 3 medicines that are to be continued long term, and what periodic tests would you advise to monitor the side effects so that we know well in advance if something needs to be done.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Generally these medications are safe.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX, Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Generally the prescribed medications are safe however, the following side effects can occur in some peopel like:
1. Metosartan: Dry cough, swelling of the face or eyelids, decreased heart beats, fatigue, or difficulty in breathing. If a person gets dry cough or swelling of the face or eyelids this medications should be stopped.
2. Rozavel: Muscle pain (muscle injury) & inflammation of the liver (liver injury).
Lab tests done to monitor the side effects are creatine phosphokinase (CPK-3) and Liver function tests (SGOT, SGPT, etc)
If these enzymes are raised, then the medication Rozavel should be stopped.
3. Ecosprin: Acidity related stomach issues like dyspepsia, gastritis, ulcer or bleeding. It should be stopped if a person gets gastritis or ulcer in the stomach.

Hope I could answer your queries. Kindly rate the answers if you do not have any follow up query and close the discussion.
Wishing your husband a very good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali