Owl Image

Is Ecospirin necessary to stabilize high BP during pregnancy?

Question
1. I am about 27 weeks pregnant and I was suggested to take Ecospirin tablet by my gynecologist. I was told that it is to prevent any possibility of getting high blood pressure during the course of pregnancy. Also I was told that my uterine PI was above 1.5 initially (around 16 weeks) which is now <1 (at 24 weeks) and as expected. However I am still being asked to continue the medication. I do not want to use any more medicines than absolutely necessary. Is taking this medication really necessary? Also to mention, I have always had blood pressure on the lower side, like an average of 85/60 since the beginning of my pregnancy. What are the chances of getting high blood pressure during pregnancy?

2. I am currently having a pain radiating from my right buttock which sometimes doesn't allow me to bend or walk comfortably. Applying hot pack to it helps a little but has not cured it completely. I also have numbness and pins and needles feeling on top part of my right thigh sometimes. what could be the cause for this and are there any exercises you can suggest to reduce this? Will stretching exercises help?
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ecosprin increases the blood supply to placenta.

Detailed Answer:
The chances of getting a high blood pressure are more if your baseline blood pressure is on a higher side and you have a family history of hypertension. Ecosprin is given for thinning of blood so that there is a better placental perfusion and there are lesser chances of growth retardation in the baby. It is not harmful and has a beneficial effect on the blood supply to the baby. But this is not an essential medicine. You can avoid having it if your wish to but donot stop it without consulting your gynecologist.
The pain in the leg and numbness is a common finding during pregnancy due to change in posture and effect of hormones on the nerves. This can be due to low levels of vitamin D3 or electrolyte imbalance also. You can start with proper supplements like calcium, magnesium, vitamin D3 and methylcobalamin after consulting your gynecologist.
Doing a hot compress and stretching exercises will also help.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
I hope this answers your query.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal