Is Ecoflox an effective medication for typhoid fever?

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: My sister has typhoid and the doctor gave her ECOFLOX 500. I looked it up and saw that it's mainly used for STDs. She asked him about it and he said it's for typhoid. Her typhoid has progressed and it's on level 7 currently. Is there any other medication that she can take to help? And what is that ECOFLOX exactly?
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ecoflox is OFLOXACIN, mild antibiotic

Detailed Answer:

ECOFLOX is used for Typhoid fever also. It is a mild antibiotic and used for suspicious typhoid fever. So I think you should not worry now. The doctor could have chosen a moderate antibiotic as well. The antibiotic would run at least for 14 days. Meantime other symptoms like fever and abdominal pain can be controlled with other medicines CROCIN, COLOSPA. If there is diarrhoea it should be treated conservatively. The person has to take care for at least one month.
I did not understand how did you measure LEVEL 7. There are only titres that are calculated for bacterial growth.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 16 minutes later
I don't know how the doctor got level 7 as well. But that's what he told her that it's now level 7. Thank you Dr. Parinam
Brief Answer:
May be local guidelines

Detailed Answer:

They may be local guidelines which I am not aware off.
As I said Ofloxacin is not a bad drug for Typhoid fever. It takes time to work and complete it.
Please do not worry.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 17 hours later
The bacteria growth for my sister's typhoid is 160. what does that mean?
Brief Answer:
These are titres

Detailed Answer:
the quickness of sticking the antibodies produced by human body is measured on Widal test as it is difficult to culture bacteria. a titre more than 160 is considered positive if accompanied by clinical symptoms. always symptoms are very important than tests in case of typhoid fever.