Is ESR value of 28 mm/hr a cause for concern?

Posted on Mon, 8 May 2017 in Infections
Question: What if my esr is 28mm/hr ?Is it dangerousand what is remedy ?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No its not dangerous

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

The normal range for a male is <15mm/hr. If ESR is higher than this value, it suggests inflammation in some part of body. The inflammation can be due to many causes like infections, injury, etc.

If the value is high then it needs to be corelated with other symptoms like cough, fever, pain, etc. If no other symptom is present, then it can be safely ignored. If other symptoms are present then further tests to confirm diagnosis is required.

Hope it clears your doubt. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 27 minutes later
No infection and injury is there.No cough no fever no pain,how it will come to normal then ?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
With lifestyle changes

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Its a good thing that there are no symptoms. Isolated raised ESR does not need any treatment. In fact there is no treatment available to bring it down. Do upload the reports for me to check if there is any other abnormal laboratory parameters.

Raised ESR suggests that there maybe some very mild infection that does not need any medicine. Lifestyle changes can be brought about to raise immunity. Regular exercise for 20 min a day is must. It can include gym, walk, yoga, swimming, cycling, etc.

In diet, take hygienic food and cleaner drinking water from RO system. This will avoid any food-borne infections.

Otherwise no specific treatment is required. There is no need to repeatedly check it.

Hope it helps.
Dr Vaishalee
Dr. Vaishalee Punj