Is ESR value of 28 a cause for concern?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi my wife esr count is 28 what does that mean in October 2015 it was around levels now it increased and reduced 4 kgs from October 2015
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ESR is acceptable but she should eat healthy foods to increase hemoglobin

Detailed Answer:
Thanksfor writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. ESR is erythrocyte sedimentation rate and is a test that indicates inflammatory activity in a person. If it is high then there might be a disease process in that person. It only tells that a disease is there but will not say what disease it is.

2. The normal range is 0-22 mm/hr for men and 0-29 mm/hr for women at end of first hour in most people.

3. If your wife has ESR 29 mm then it is acceptable and not a serious problem. Other tests are normal and therefore you should not worry. Her CRP level is normal and therefore ESR being upper limit of normal is not a problem.

4. Weight loss of 4 kg in 6 months can be acceptable. However she can get an ultrasound scan abdomen and pelvis done as a routine examination. Her hemoglobin is low normal and she should take healthy food, fruits and vegetables to increase her hemoglobin level.

5. If she is having cough for more than 15 days then a chest x ray is also recommended.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 8 hours later
Thanks a lot. Worried about esr level. Will ask her to eat healthy food. She has ear pain and cold for 10-15 days earlier now she is absolutely fine.

Chest x Ray also has taken, yet to report come.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cough and cold can increase ESR slightly

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

1. The ESR can be slightly higher due to the recent cold and cough. It is get back to normal. Please send across her chest x ray report if you wich to have a discussion on that.

Hope your query is answered.