Is EMG required for lower limbs?

Neurologist
Question
Do I need to get a lower limbs EMG?
Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

As the symptoms are most prominent in left lower limb, EMG of the involved muscles should be done, in addition to the muscles of other limbs as well; in addition, tongue muscles should be sampled as well. EMG protocol involves muscles of different regions, based on which only,the diagnosis of Motor neuron disease can be established. Even if the muscles of lower limb suggest the changes of motor neuron disease while the other muscles being normal; the diagnosis can't be made as there can be other causes as well, of atrophy and fasciculations.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to answer them.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD.DM(Neurology)