Is Doxycycline hyclate effective in sinus infection?
it may be effective
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Sinusitis is most commonly associated with particular bacteria including h influenza, mox catarrhalis, strep pneumonia, other strep, stap aureus.
Doxycycline is in a family of drugs called tetracyclines.
It may be able to treat some of these bacteria if present.
This means that it may be able to help with your sinusitis if the infection is caused by one of the above bacteria that responds to doxycycline.
If it is going to respond then changes should be seen within 2 to 3 days of starting the medication.
In addition to the antibiotics, you may need to use anti histamines, decongestants and topical steroid nasal sprays (eg flonase, nasonex, nasocort)
Summary: (1) bacteria sinusitis can be caused by different possible bacteria
(2)some of these respond to doxycycline
(3) if the infection is caused by one of these bacteria, then it should work
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Marijuana effects on a sinus infection
- Sinus infection doxycycline dosage
- Sinus infection doxycycline hyclate
- Pseudomonas sinus infection
- Can a sinus infection effect sperm count
- Sinus infection doxycycline
- Steroid shot for sinus infection side effects
- Sinus infection steroids side effects
- Effects of lisinopril on sinus infections
- Steroid injection side effects for sinus infection