Is Diovan or Micardis more effective at treating high BP?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Oct 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was taking Cozaar 50 milligrams once a day for several years and the drug started not to agree with me and I developed symptoms that I believe was associated with this drug. My doctor then placed me on Diovan-Valsartan 40 milligrams to start.
Since these drugs are classified as angiotensin receptor blockers, I wanted to find out 1. Which angiotensin receptor blocker has been on the market longer--Diovan or Micardis since it appears that there have been more patient reviews for Diovan versus Micardis on webmd.com?
2. From your experience, which drug from the angiotensin receptor blockers have been more successful in lowering blood pressure and patients being more satisfied on which drugs--Diovan or Micardis?
Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would answer your question as follows:

1. Diovan is an older drug on the market, compared to Micardis (telmisartan). This is why it has more patient reviews.

2. Regarding the efficacy, I would explain that Micardis(Telmisartan) is more potent compared to Diovan, in reducing blood pressure values. This is also explained with the fact that higher doses of Diovan (80-320mg) are needed daily, compared to the maintenance daily doses of Micardis (20-80mg).

I can confirm this on my personal experience with my patients.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri