Is Diltiazem safe to take twice a day under the same dosage?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: Dear Dr,
I have hypertension and I'm currently taking Diltiazem 120mg bid, do you consider that the morning dose should be the same as the evening dose? The reason I'm asking this question is that I know that Diltiazem lowers the heart rate per minute, and do you think it can cause me problems at night during sleep?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

From our last discussion I remember that you told me that you are taking Diltiazem 120 mg in the morning and 90 mg in night.

Now you are telling me that you are taking 120 mg both in morning and evening. May I know why you suddenly increased the evening dose to 120 mg ? Was the blood pressure going high?

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 36 minutes later
Dear Dr,
I feel that my blood pressure is not fully controlled. During daytime, I measure my BP, and I obtain readings 145/88 and then 134/87. I don't know why I have those variations, I use an electronic blood pressure monitor for the arm. Usually, high blood pressure is not noticeable, but in my case, I suffer from headaches when it goes high. When I measure my BP at night I got a reading of 144/93 and that is why I increased the evening dose from 90 to 120. Did I do the right thing Dr? Do you think that Diltiazem Sustained Release would be better?
Kind regards,
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
If your blood pressure was constantly staying above 140/90 mmHg on multiple reading and on different occasions then its right to increase the dose.

But again that decision should be taken by a medical professional and increasing the dose too frequently is also not advisable.

Also as i have said in past along with medicines dietary and lifestyle modifications are equally important and should be strictly followed.

Again, try practicing yoga/meditation as it will also help in lowering BP by some extent.

Hope to have been helpful.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 27 minutes later
Ok Dr, I understand, one last question Dr, do you consider that the sustained release formula is better than the standard?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again.

Detailed Answer:
Yes Sustained release preparations are better as it releases small amount of drug at fixed regular intervals and have a better control.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Bhanu Partap, Cardiologist