Is Dilaudid safe to take for a severe backache while undergoing treatment for bronchitis?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 12 Sep 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I was prescribed Dilaudid in 2016 for major back pain. I only took 3-4 days of pain meds. I then was given Percet 10.5 . A week of that and back to ibuprofen. I have been really sick with Broncitutis and a touch of Phenumoia. E-Ray shows much better. But it has left me with horrible upper back pain. Nothing seams to help and it has given me a headache that I can't get rid of. Would it be safe to take some of my pain meds that I got in 2016. I put them up and just kept them . I have XXXXXXX Diease 11+ years. That's not much fun. But I know I have to live with that. Would be nice if they come up with a cure in my life time. Don't see that happening. I am 63 and getting a attitude toward life, don't mean to but my XXXXXXX is about to get the best of me. It's no fun having to wear long sleeve shirts , pants in 100 degree weather. But my skin is horrible . Well I got off subject ..would my these pain mess be safe and possibly help or throw them away. I will be really surprised any one answers me but worth a try. The doctor whose picture here is very handsome . Off subject again. I guess I need a shrink. Lol thanks
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Can be used but only for a short period of time, the risk of dependence.

Detailed Answer:

Given that common painkillers like Aleve and Advil seem to have failed it is justified to think of using opioids as you suggest.

It is safe to use either Dilaudid or Percocet, it doesn't have any harmful effects on your other conditions.

The main issue though is their potential for dependence which is a huge topic of discussion nowadays.

For that reason it is important that they not be used for long periods, you shouldn't use them for longer than 1-2 weeks.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Olsi Taka, Neurologist