Is Defcort syrup safe for severe cough in children?
Start with antihistamines and bronchodilator
I understand your concerns regarding use of steroids. I would not recommend the use of oral steroids unless and until absolutely necessary such as in severe bronchospasm and breathlessness. Steroids have many associated side effects on growing children, so then use is restricted.
I would recommend you to start with antihistamines, bronchodilator and mucolytic such as Syp. Ambrolite S and Syp. Maxtra. You may use Nasivion drops for nasal congestion if required. In case the cough is associated with fever spikes, then antibiotics may be used after throat swab culture, CBC and chest X Ray if indicated on clinical evaluation.
Hopefully it will be of help. I would be happy to help you in any further questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Safe cough syrup in pregnancy
- Ventorlin syrup for children for cough
- Ambrodil cough syrup for children
- Defcort syrup for babies
- Topcef syrup for cough children
- Defcort medicine for cough
- Relent cough syrup for children
- Defcort syrup for children
- Why is defcort given to children
- Defcort syrup side effects