Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

171 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Is D&C the required option to improve symptoms from adenomyosis in case of intolerance towards oral medicine?

Answered by
Dr. Rakhi Tayal


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 13448 Questions

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in Women's Health
Question: Hello,
Since one year I am suffering from sever period pains and while bleeding clots are observed. When I got scan done, it showed ADENOMAYOSIS and PCOS. Initially, doctor gave me birth control pills however, it did not suit me and they changed medicines but it doesn't suit me. Now, doctor suggested to insert Mirena and D&C procedure. I would like to take a second opinion if I can go head with the procedure or not.
I have got c section done in 2002 and I have a son.
Recently, I got cervix test done and everything is normal. Is there alternative for this. Is D&C required?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail below.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query.
I have gone through your query in detail,if oral medicine does not suit to you than Mirena is a better choice,Recently the Mirena IUD has also been shown to improve symptoms from adenomyosis. The progesterone hormone the IUD continually releases shrinks the tissue lining the uterus and through this mechanism decreases symptoms from adenomyosis.
Most commonly, D & C surgery is done in order to help determine the cause of abnormal uterine bleeding. It can also be done to help determine the degree of abnormality of the endometrium in cancer cases or pre-cancerous cells that are detected by an in-office biopsy. D & C is also sometimes necessary to remove tissue .There is no harm in going with D& C.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on