Is D&C advisable when diagnosed with high HCG levels?

Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I am 20 years old and have a very poor menstral cycle. I got pregnant while on the pill at 17 and had a beautiful baby girl. since her birth my cycle is hit or miss. I bleed for a few days in May and spotted one day in XXXXXXX I have recently taken several prenancy tests which have come back positive. I went to the doctor and they have taken blood tests several times. My HCG levels were 25,80, 8000. They did an US last week and saw a gestational sac and yolk sac. Could there be something wrong or do I just need to wait. My dr did mention a D&C until she saw my HCG level come back at 8000
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
EARLY PREGNANCY .MISSED ABORTION

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings
Your doctor would have advised D AND C because the hcg has to double up in 48 to 72 hrs.Since it us not doubling up ,Pregnancy may not be continuing.A repeat ultrasound scan can be done to know the progress .
After that you can take a decision.
Need not worry about it.It happens at time.
Discuss with your obstetrician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 36 minutes later
My HCG levels was 25, then 80, then she recommended d&c until she saw the 8,000. Isn't that a good sign?
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Early pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hi
If hcg was 8000 ,it should be 16000 after 48 to 72 hrs for normal pregnancy. That increase has to be correlated with scan findings.
Hope you are convinced. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng