question-icon

Is Clorox effective to treat molluscum contagiosum?

Posted on Fri, 21 Mar 2014
Question: I read online that clorox wipes might kill molluscum contagiosum. I dabbed a bit on a spot on my penis and wiped an area that I thought might have one. The major spots had been treated by a doctor with acid. I now realize this was stupid but I was desperate. I have no burning now. I cleaned my penis with water. Did I do damage by doing this? I have no redness or irritation.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel (1 hour later)
Brief Answer: Clorox is disinfectant,not effective on M C. Detailed Answer: Hi, Clorox is an disinfectant used in hospital cleaning. It is not effective to treat molluscum contagiosum. You have used it without any effect. Now never use it. You do not worry, it will not harm you. You consult dermatologist, he may go for electrocautery or might suggest salicylic acid 12% solution to apply on the lesion. I hope you got my answer. Still, any query..you may ask. Thanks. Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist