Is Carbocaine similar to lidocaine without Epinephrine?

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have had a dental reaction I was told because of the epi in the lidocaine being injected wrong resulting in rapid pulse. Since then carbocaine has been used by the dentist with no adverse side effects. I am considering voluma which will require two vials of hyaluronic acid with lidocaine. I am wondering if I should be cautious of the lidocaine which has no epi in it. Is carbocaine similar to lidocaine without epi? I have high blood pressure and take 5 MG Amlodipine daily and 60 MG Diltiazem am and pm.
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
They both are amide group of anaesthetics.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in.

Epinephrine is used for decreasing blood loss as vasoconstrictor.Lignocaine & carbocaine both belong to same category of local anaesthetics.If you have got allergy to lignocaine with epinephrine you may go for plain lignocaine without epinephrine.It will also lower your blood pressure.
You may consult your dentist before going for plain lignocaine or carbocaine

Hope I answered your query

Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist