Is CT coronary angiogram or invasive angiogram better?

Dr. Rajesh Teli

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi Doctor,
My father wants to undergo angiogram procedure, his blood group is O negative, does blood group has anything to do with angiogram procedure. The doctor here said that some people might get stroke during this procedure.
And comparatively which procedure is better CT coronary angiogram or traditional angiogram?
Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Teli 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Majority of time there is no need for Blood transfusion for angiograohy

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
I am Dr.Rajesh Teli,MD.I have gone through your query.
Thanks for using HCM.
I would like to reply your query in the sequence asked by you.

1. As such Blood group has no relevance with procedure of angiography, unless there is some bleeding disorder blood transfusion is not required for angiography.

2. Incedence of stroke after angiography is very rare.
3. CT coronary angiography is non invasive procedure with high negative predictive value. That means if CT angiography is normal then you can be pretty sure that patient will not need any procedure like angioplasty or bypass. However if there are blocks detected on CT angiography then he will need invasive angiography to exactly quantify blocks and to decide further course of action.
So decision whether to go for CT angio or conventional angio depends on his probability of having blocks. If your father is diabetic, Hypertensive, obese, having family history of heart disease and ECG and exercise test are pointing towards high possibility of blocks then you should opt for routine angiography.

My best wishes
Dr.Teli.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee