Is CLA safflower oil effective while trying to lose weight?

Kathy
Kathy Shattler

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, I am 32 and have received a kidney transplant 8 years ago. Due to my meds, including a steroid to enhance my anti-rejection meds my weight has ballooned about 35-40 lbs in the last 18 months. As a result my hips are beginning to bother me from the necrosis that is caused by the steroids. Hip replacement has been scheduled for May/2017 but doctors want me weight down over the next 60 days by about 25 pounds. what effects or problems will CLA Safflower oil have on my condition? What if any would the safflower oil interact with any other meds?
Answered by Kathy Shattler 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I have reviewed your case and understand your concerns

Detailed Answer:
Cortisone is known to increase water retention, hunger and subsequent weight gain. With transplantation your protein intake needs can drop down to .8g/kg. Increase to 1g/kg if loss of muscle evident. Soy protein may be more acceptable if blood lipids are high.

CLA has shown mixed results in studies with an end recommendation that it is not that helpful. Also you did not list any meds except for steroids.The dietary approach is to cut down on carbohydrates and eliminate added sugars. The Mediterranean Diet has been used frequently in cases such as yours in combination with decreased calories of 25/kg to lose weight and 30 cal/kg to maintain weight. A safe weight loss goal is 1-2 pounds per week.

Increase soluble fiber to control appetite such as oats, fresh fruit.

Emphasis should be placed on high quality protein along with resistance exercise to help avoid the muscle wasting common with steroid treatment. Resistance exercises are strengthening exercises. You may find visual examples of different exercise moves by searching for my pinterest boards and find the fitness board. It should be under Kathy Shattler/pinterest.com. High quality protein includes eggs, milk, lean meats, cottage cheese, low fat cheese. Take skin off chicken, avoid fried foods/fatty foods, bake/broil but don't fry. Eat fruit with the skin on and try to eat oatmeal products for breakfast.

What specific concerns about safflower oil do you have ? Extra virgin olive oil is a good fat as are omega 3, DHA and EPA, alpha linoleic acid, alpha linoleic acid.

As always, consistent exercise is imperative to your success in losing weight. With an impending hip replacement coming, walking will be part of your rehabilitation so focus on strength training of your upper body.

Other drug/nutrient interactions possible are a need for supplemental vitamin D and/or calcium and possibly a low sodium diet. Watch your blood sugar as cortisone may bring on diabetes.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.
Good luck to you and feel free to contact me again if clarifications are needed. XXXXXXX Shattler, MS,RDN

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee