Is Buspirone similar in effectiveness to Clonazepam?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Hi can you please tell me what Buspirone is primarily prescribed for and is it effective in the same way as Clonazepam?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question.

Buspirone, trade name Buspar, is a medication commonly prescribed for anxiety and depressive disorders. Anxiety disorders in which it can be helpful include generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic disorder. It is also used for major depressive disorder.

Buspar is a little different from clonazepam, trade name Klonopin. They both are used to treat anxiety. However, Klonopin is a benzodiazepine and acts very quickly. Buspar is in the atypical antidepressant class of medications, can take a few weeks to take full effect, but works long-term without the many side effects of Klonopin (sedation, poor cognition, withdrawal symptoms).
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 19 minutes later
My concern is that any type of anti depressant will repeat the negative experience I have had in the past. Is this medications anti depressant effects typical of SSRI's? I have also heard that anti-depressants can cause weight gain. I know when I was prescribed Celexa, which made me feel like I was living in a bubble, I gained approximately 30 lbs. Can you please advise. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow-up

Detailed Answer:
Buspar is a 5HT1A agonist, meaning it stimulates serotonin receptors directly. This is different from SSRIs, which block reuptake of serotonin and thus increase the amount of serotonin in the synapse. This is a fancy way of saying these are very different drugs, and a negative experience with Celexa does not mean you will have a negative experience with Buspar. Furthermore, the risk of weight gain with Buspar is <1% compared to SSRIs which lead to weight gain more frequently.

My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX psychiatrist working in New York City. For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, or individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers