Is Botox injections safe with history of involuntary muscle twitch

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi, i just wanted to ask, over the past 5 months i have noticed that some of my facial muscles twitch, around my mouth, and also at night time as im falling asleep i experience quite a few involuntary muscle jerks. My gp has put these symptoms down to anxiety and stress but i am planning to have some botox injections for cosmetic purposes but i have heard that they arent recomended for people with neuromuscular disorders. is it ok to go ahead with having them in your professional view? (Obviously i wont base my decision on what you say alone, i just want to get an idea. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Its safe in your case

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

Regarding the involuntary jerks while you are going to sleep, this is a normal phenomenon. You need not bother about this.
Secondly the mild twitches that you mentioned could be due to anxiety. Hiwever in that case they should imcrease with the presence of stressful conditions.
The other possible causes could be deficiency of zinc or calcium and this can be replenished by supplimentation. It would also be wise to get an EEG done as occasionally focal seizure duscharges may also prewent with such twitches.
In all the causes mentioned above there is contraindication to botox. You may safely go ahead.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 14 minutes later
On occasion i sometimes get these involuntary muscle jerks in the day, is this also normal for some people? I do see a pattern between when im stressed and anxious with when the twitches occur. Many thanks for your reply.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 5 days later
Brief Answer:
Yes anxiety could be blamed for this

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Yes, anxiety can lead to these symptoms. It would be wise to control the anxiety and the illness there by.
Hope this helps
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD