question-icon

Is Bicillin LA effective in treatment of recurrent cellulitis?

Posted on Mon, 21 Jul 2014
Question: I have been treated for recurrent cellulitis for > 2 years with oral antibiotics. Yesterday my Infectious Disease MD changed treatment to Bicillin LA 2,400,000 units (IM) monthly. How is this mode of treatment apt to be effective?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani (39 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into the problem I would like to tell you that Your treating doctor has aptly taken this decision . Bicillin contains penicillin and its monthly injection in this dose offers long time prophylaxis for recurring cellulitis .

Taking oral antibiotics for long time leads to a lot of complications and adversly affect Gastrointestinal linings thus harming the resident flora of the tract leading to complications such as pseudomembranous colitis . So this seems to be the most rational approach considering your situation .

Dr. Shruti
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist