Is Betadine safe for a nail injury in an infant?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Fri, 24 Jun 2016 in Infections
Question: hi.. just cut a three month old baby finger tips while trying to cut fingernail with nail clippers. it bled for a bit but now ok. loos very red and gross. put some betadine on it and put a bandaid on. is that ok? do we need to go into get it checked?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You have done the right thing - can you please upload a photo of the injury

Detailed Answer:
Hi..... you have done the right thing. Please do not worry. Can you upload an image of the injury please. After seeing this I can guide you better on - if something else should be done for it.

But by what you quote I feel that nothing else will be necessary, but to be on the safer side I want to see and then decide what is to be done.

If you have vaccinated the kid with one and half and 2 and half months DPT vaccine then you need not give any TT vaccine also.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth