Is BRCA1 gene and ovarian cancer related to kidney stone?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Question: My daughter, who is 34, has the BRCA1 gene. She also has had one episode of a kidney stone. She is now having pain in the other kidney. I realize she needs to be seen by a doctor and she is going to asap. However, in the meanwhile, I'd like to know if there is any known relationship between kidney stones and ovarian cancer.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 9 hours later
Hi
Thanks for writing in.

BRCA gene is not associated with the kidneys in any way. Also, ovarian cancer is totally unrelated to kidney stones. You have mentioned that she is having pain in the other kidney but symptomatically it is not always possible to distinguish kidney pain from other abdominal causes.

Hence, it would be prudent for her to visit a doctor and try to find out what really is going on. She may need scans like ultrasound or CT.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer any follow-up queries.