Is BP reading of 150/90 a cause for concern?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Doctor checked the bp today its same as last month which is 150/90
1.i am walking daily 1 hour
2.i am not eating oily or salty food
3.i am doing yoga daily
Still bp reading same ,what may be the reason
1.i am not able to control tension
2.should i totally avoid salt
please reply
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Still two months to go

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Yes 150/90 is over the edge. The recommendation is to try the lifestyle measures for 3 months. It has to become low. I would also suggest that you check it in comfort of your home. Sometimes BP rises in doctor office but is normal at home.

It is usually not in persons control to lower the tensions. But if you do something productive during stressful periods it helps. For example if you had an argument, just think of people who you can help. Do some random good deeds. This will raise your spirits. Breathing techniques (kriya in yoga) are also commonly recommended to reduce stress. Progressive muscle relaxation (yog nidra in yoga) is also recommended.

Reasons can be better assessed by a cardiologist. He will run some tests specifically to rule out medical causes of high BP.

It is impractical to totally avoid salt. It is ok to take salt in sabzi. Salted items like chips, achar, etc are to be avoided.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 6 minutes later
Doctor thanks for the reply
1.How to check bp at home
30 day back ecg taken physician said its normal
2.should i consult cardiologist or wait for 2 months
Brief Answer:
BP Monitor

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You can easily check BP at home with a digital or automated BP monitor. Tie the cuff at the middle 3rd of the upper arm. Inflate the cuff until it shows the reading of 180 and then let go. It will give the BP reading.

You can see the cardiologist now as well. There is nothing wrong in running the tests till you are trying the lifestyle measures.

Dr Vaishalee