Is BP of 82/50 a cause for concern?

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I just took my wife's BP and it was 82/53 with a pulse of 87. This is abnormal as her BP is usually in the 130-140 range. She is on risperidone and was supposed to take 1.5 mg this morning. However, she got into the medication herself and may have taken 6 mg (or more) instead. Should I head for the ER?
Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see detailed answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome,
This is Dr Sameer, cardiologist.
BP of 82/50 is low but not serious until she has symptoms of weakness or dizziness. I'll recommend giving some water with salt in it. This will increase the bp.
If she is having extreme weakness or any drug overdose is suspected, immediately take her to ER, so that proper management can be done soon.
Wish her quick recovery.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy