Is BP of 100/60 normal when on Targit?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I had my BP as 150/60 in the month of February. My age is 79. Doctor advised me to take TARGIT 80every day at 6PM. Now my BP is 100/60 and I am feeling weak also. I had never been to BP medicine earlier in lifetime. Should I continue this ? Since about a month I am taking TARGIT 40. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Readjustment in medication needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. A readjustment in medication will be needed in your case. Stopping Angiotensin receptor blocker telmesartan (tatgit) abruptly is not advised. Further decrease in dosage to 20 mg can be initially tried or change to comparatively less potent agents like losartan.

Blood pressure should be regularly monitored also. If there is still wide variations in BP then ambulatory BP measurement and echo cardiography should be done also. A consultation with a cardiologist is well appreciated in such case.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Nishad BN