question-icon

Is Azithromycin effective at treating severe cough, breathlessness and mucus?

Posted on Fri, 4 Dec 2020
Question: went to the doctor for bad cough and coughing up clear mucus for a bout 4 days he gave me amoxicillin for 4 days in urgent care then i went to my primary care doctor and he told me to stop taking it and gave me azithromycin and have taken that for past five days i still find myself still cough and having shortness of breath when i exercise lower and middle back pain doesnt seem to hurt when i take deep brreathes my question should my breathing gotten better by now when i saw the doctor had elevate heart rate 80s and blood pressure was 140/90
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:

Get a chest X-ray!

Detailed Answer:

You are fine and this is consistent with the natural progress of an infection of the airways.

You would definitely heal completely in a few days or a week.

You do not need to do anything different or special at this time. Though worried, there is really nothing at stake at this time.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Ivo Ditah, Internal Medicine Specialist
Dr. Ivo Ditah