Is Avodart an effective medication for BPH?
how would you rate Avodart?
5 alpha-reductase inhibitor.
The aim of treatment in BPH is reduction in symptoms and prevention of complications. Terazosin is a fair first line option for both.
Avodart is a 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor which is used if the prostate is enlarged. They cause the DHT levels to decline which leads to reduction in prostate size and hence a reduction in symptoms.
If the symptoms are controlled with terazosin and the prostate size isn't enlarged then the same can be continued.
Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.
Wishing you the best of health.
Hope this helps your query.
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Bph medical treatment
- Have symptoms of bph need prescription for avodart
- Drugs/medication for bph
- Side effects of bph drugs
- Bph surgery side effects
- Bph effect on psa
- Avodart vs finasteride for bph
- Panic attacks from bph medications
- Proscar vs avodart for bph
- Beneficial effect of masterbation on bph
- What causes weight gain inspite of being on Effexor for depression?
- What does twinging sensation in and around stomach indicate?
- Suggest treatment for pressure under lower left rib cage
- Suggest treatment for scleroderma
- Is Stematil safe with Sertraline?
- What causes low MPV?
- Does drinking excess water lead to reduced kidney function?
- Does Claritin Redi medication cause lymphadenopathy?
- Can hepatitis-C be contracted through a cut wound in the hand?
- What causes numbness in legs and face after taking steroid injections in...