Is Augmentin the right medicine for bronchitis?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Jan 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi my gp diagnosed bronchitis 10 days ago I was taking augmentin duo for 4 days and then he put me on a steroid , I couldn't tolerate the steroid so after 2 days changed every thing to Ave-lox only 1 a day for 10 days on my 5th day , I thought I had some improvement on wed&thurs but felt worse yesterday and today ( very tired ,body weak not sleeping ) coughing in spasms not all the time but bad when it starts , phelm is cream colour )
Kind regards
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get done PFT (Pulmonary Function Test)

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, thanks for your question on HCM.
Bronchitis needs bronchodilators and antihistamine drugs.
There are only few indications for oral steroids in bronchitis, so better not to take oral steroids unless indicated.
I want to ask you few things.
1. Chest x ray is done or not.
2. PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) is done or not.
For the diagnosis of bronchitis PFT is must. This will also tell you about severity of the disease and treatment of bronchitis is based on severity only.
So you should consult pulmonologist and get done PFT. And start inhaled bronchodilators and oral anti histamines along with antibiotic.
Since these are prescribed drugs, you need to consult pulmonologist.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju