question-icon

Is Augmentin the right choice for chlamydia?

Posted on Tue, 3 Feb 2015
Question: I have been recently diagnosed with chlamydia. I taken a one week course of antibiotics including augment-in. It has been three weeks since therapy and I still get a slight burning sensation in penis gland especially while sitting. what could be the cause?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Associated co-infection to be ruled out or to be treated.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Capsule Augmentin is not the right choice for Chlamydia.
Azithromycin capsules if taken as two one gram capsules then it could be the correct treatment.
If there is persistence of symptoms;
1. Rule out co-infection of Gonorrhea or Trichomans and treat if necessary.
2. Alternate choice for the treatment of chlamydia with cap. Doxycyclin can be tried.
3. Partners have to be treated.
Have plenty of fluids.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr S,Murugan
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist