question-icon

Is Augmentin Effective At Treating Cold And Sore Throat?

Posted on Mon, 6 Nov 2017
Question: Hi,
The last couple of days I’m having a lot of cold and my throat is paining.
My head feels heavy , and because of this I did take Livicetrizine yesterday night.
In the night my nose gets blocked many times .
As I am outside of XXXXXXX I request you to let me know if this is infection and if that is the case will Augmentin( One of my friends has it because brought it tooth infection ) work ?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal (14 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Sore throat

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
You are probably suffering from acute upper respiratory tract infection causing all these symptoms.
It would be better if you can send me the picture of your throat.
Augmentin is highly effective in this infection but it would be better to prescribe you once I see the pictures.
Use hexidine gargles and take paracetamol for pain or fever.
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal (15 hours later)
Hi as I was feeling a burning sensation in my throat I took the amoxicillin Augmentin tablet yesterday night.
I would like to ask you what is the dosage for the amoxicillin Augmentin tablet for which I have uploaded a photo .

I have also uploaded the photographs of my throat if that is not enough please do let me know
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal (11 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Sore throat

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the pictures.

Co-Amoxyclav(prescription antibiotic) should be taken 625mg twice daily for 5 days along with other medicines as suggested earlier.

Also take tablet vitamin C once daily.

Wish you get well soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist